Delusions of Grandeur

The rantings and ravings of a modern man trapped in a crazy world

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Five Heartbeats


** NOTE: below is written as if I were really writing to Fox Home Video...who knows, maybe I really will, but it's mainly just a rant :)


Dear Sir or Madam:

Hello, my name is Bruce Milton. I'm writing to you today about a movie in your film library that you may or may not know about and how you've messed it up. The movie is called The Five Heartbeats.

I'm 32 years old, so the 90's were my teenage years. I remember movies especially of that time period and how there was a new black Renaissance in filmmaking due to movies like "Boyz N The Hood," "New Jack City," and "Menace II Society." But in the midst of all those action-heavy, very violent films, there were a few that were different and broke through, received just as well, but not as talked about. The Five Heartbeats is one of them. The movie tells the story of five friends who form an R&B singing group and, through the decades, go through various trials and tribulations both together and as individuals. It's wonderful in the way it makes you feel you're a part of the group and get to share in their rise to fame...and their eventual downfall as is typical of a lot of musical acts. Directed by Robert Townsend (who stars, co-wrote, and produced the film as well), it very much plays as his love letter to the doo-wop and Motown groups he--and I--grew up listening to and gives us insight on what it was like for entertainers then and pretty much in the industry now.

So what's my problem with you? Why did I say you've "messed it up?" Well, in 2002, you FINALLY, finally released the film on DVD, much to the delight of its fans. It was no huge collector's edition set or anything; you just gave us a prepackaged featurette shot at the time of the movie, a trailer, some bio on Mr. Townsend, pretty nice anamorphic transfer and clean up of the film, and that's it. But that's okay. I understand that the way things are going now, sometimes barebones DVDs have to be put out just so the public can have the opportunity to even see a film, because most places only sell/rent DVDs anymore, unless you own the original VHS. I bought this DVD hoping and praying someday you'd realize you should revisit this title and give it the treatment it deserves.

Flash forward to a couple of months ago, January of this year, and you bring joy to Mudville--you release a new version. And not just any version, a 15th Anniversary Special Edition! Hallelujah! You heard our prayers! I'm thinking that I've got the best the studio has to offer on this set, with Fox's record of doing very good collector's editions of DVDs. Alas, you supremely disappointed me. Not only do we get the featurette that was on the first disc, but the new featurette that's touted on the back cover? It's nothing more than chopped together bits from that featurette and some older interview footage! Actually, it's easier for me to say the things you did do right: the behind the scenes stuff on the music, the filmmaker's mindset, and deleted scenes were on point. And thanks so much for including the soundtrack with the purchase of the DVD; I finally can toss out my cassette tape. But you mean to tell me you couldn't do a retrospective of this movie? You couldn't go back and interview Mr. Townsend about a movie that was far superior to anything he made after that point and I'd like to think is his crowning achievement? You couldn't interview many of the actors now who were in the movie, who have gone on to much bigger things since this was made? This movie practically made Leon's career! Harry Lennix is currently co-starring in the hit "Commander in Chief!" Michael Wright got leading roles in major movies! You still have pioneers like Diahann Carroll around, could've done a retrospective on Harold Nicholas of the Nicholas brothers who just recently passed away! For God's sake, Kennan Ivory Wayans co-wrote this thing and his insight on how that went for he and Mr. Townsend back in the day to get this made and how he feels about it now looking back are surely worth an interview!

The Five Heartbeats is by no means what I consider a perfect movie. I still have problems in the third act when the group hits the 1970s and breaks up, and all the reconcilliation and stuff happens way too fast for me. But it is a beloved movie. It is a great movie. It deserved better than the treatment you gave it. As a filmmaker, I'd almost say I'd have done the legwork on these interviews for free because I love this movie so much and I know others do, too. We as fans deserve more than what you gave. This is not to say, however, that you should do a third DVD release of this film. The only thing worse than doing a "special edition" injustice is to repeatedly do different editions of a film, gouging the public for more money of a disc they already own and thought was the end-all-be-all version. My point is, we understand if you want to get out that barebones DVD to get the film out in the public water. But when you sit down and do a special edition of a DVD, or something as illustrious as an "anniversary edition," put some effort into it. Make us relive why we loved that particular movie while giving us some new insight into it to make us that more appreciative. Make it an event. Don't get lazy and sloppy and think we'll just take anything. Because eventually, we won't.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home