Delusions of Grandeur

The rantings and ravings of a modern man trapped in a crazy world

Friday, March 10, 2006

24 This Week: 3/6/06

Wow. Man. Wow.

Originally I was going to start this blog with the line, "No one can out-Chloe another coworker like Chloe, cause then people die" -- regarding Edgar's dismissal of Claire's hunch and trying to bring it to Edgar's attention, spelling her own certain doom in going to check it out.

But then I saw the end of the show. Wow. Man. Wow.

I'm going to be honest, I didn't think they'd do it. I thought surely he'd either make it in one of the rooms or get out. But as he turned the corner, I swear I sat there a good five minutes, hand to my mouth, eyes wide open. I ain't gonna lie, I don't know if it was because I didn't blink for the five minutes or I genuinely took in this harrowing moment--it was probably a little of both--but my eyes watered. I was and am blown away. I want to quickly say a thanks to my 24 buddies at work who, while telling me it's the best episodes of 24 they've seen this year, if not ever, they DID NOT give away the ending. I already thought it was great. The ending was just the icing on the cake. Wow. Man. Wow. Edgar, rest in peace, amigo. At least he's with his mom who was also another innocent victim. God, I sound like I'm giving the guy a eulogy...but man, it's Edgar!!!! Alright, let me get to the rest of the show:

What did we learn this week:

--that 24 is one of the best shows on TV, period. Yes, as fans know, it lapses somewhere in hour 7 with some absurd plotline that tests our faith in the series, let alone plausibility. BUT WE COME BACK. They make it too good overall for us to leave. How good is this show? It passes the legendary show test: we all know Jack Bauer is the baddest mo' fo' in the universe (second is David Palmer), super agent extraordinaire. We want to name our children after him. But for almost a good part of the Hour 1 of the 2-hour special, we don't really see Jack. We deal with the supporting characters and their situations. And that's the test: we actually care! We don't sit there going, "Show Jack, show Jack," we're actually invested in what's going on with them and in their story. All -- ALL -- great shows have this, and 24 proved it. Bravo to the writers and creators for building 5 years of investment well.

--I started singing "Secret Lovers" when Aaron and the First Lady held hands. If I were married to Logan, I'd like a Secret Service agent with backbone who cooly blew up a flamethrower, too. Look for Marty to start requesting Aaron on her details wherever she goes...and it ain't just for taking a bullet ;)

-- ...which leads me to my "Dear, God, you're an idiot" moment for President Logan this week. Grant you, it doesn't come until Hour 2, but declaring martial law on L.A.?!!!! Are you smoking weed? Does this man do nothing but take the advice of others and do whatever sounds right? Can he be this...inept? This stupid?! Everyone, say it with me now: "Pull out a gun and shoot him....PLEASE." I can't stand this. He's driving me to drink here! The only thing I can give him is that he did have the balls to stay with the call to let the terrorists gut the motorcade, but he shouldn't have made that deal in the first place. But I'm telling you, if they end this season with this dude still in office, oh, there will be a reckoning. I will rain fire down on Keifer and Joel Surnow and at least beg them to assasinate him in the first minute of the next season (see, I never said I'd stop watching. I love me some Jack Bauer, man!)

--Okay, okay, again, thanks to everyone for not revealing that Pony Boy Curtis is dating Kim Bauer. And what's with the goatee?! He has not aged well, but it could be the "look" they're giving his character. And Cameron, you were right. The best line award this week goes to when he starts mouthing off at Jack and Jack goes, "Kim," and dude is asked to leave the room. There's no threats, Jack doesn't even get in his face, it's just one word. That's Jack Bauer. I swear, I yelled at the TV, "Do you know who you are f-in' with, Pony Boy?"

--- and then Chloe mouths the words "Edgar," watching him die.....Wow. Man. Wow.

--So Tony asks Bill Buchanon who's responsible for killing Michelle and he gives him...Peter Weller? Oh, the man who happens to also be at CTU AND, due to the lockdown, is now in medical with Tony? Oh, I wonder if Tony will find out who he is, I don't know. Yes, that was sarcasm. :) So Bill couldn't tell him the Russian guy (Julian Sands)? Couldn't even tell him the man MOST directly responsible for killing Michelle was killed by Jack. Noooooo, we have to create conflict. Damn writers...

--CTU and security...come on, guys. I mean, I've got to admit, that was well done in that at least this bad guy went to a lot of trouble to obtain a card. But this place is a disaster when it comes to internal security. It's blown up in one season and now a lethal gas kills 40% of the personnel? They'd better offer a hell of a dental plan to employees.

------- and there's no sound when they count down to the end of the show cause they know we're just sitting there speechless and there's absolutely no way we think they've really killed Edgar. Wow. Man. Wow.

--Jack shoots JoBeth Williams. I could've gone either way on this. I didn't know if he was going to use her against him or not honestly. I know Jack is capable of it, but he believed she didn't know anything, so maybe he wouldn't shoot her? But when he did, man. That's just cold Weller still wouldn't give up the secrets. Women, take note: would your man let you take a bullet rather than give up a conspiracy to unleash poisoinous gas in Los Angeles? Think about it, cause you know it'll happen to, oh, everyone someday.

--Oh, and people are stupid in dealing with criminals. Exhibit A: Do you really think a dude is just going to hand over $20,000 for a security card? To a top secret (so they say) government facility? And he's not going to just kill you and keep the money? Come on! Exhibit B: when the CTU infiltrator takes the guard hostage...come on, man! You think once that guy gets the access out he needs, he's not going to kill you? That you'll be a bargaining chip? You're a security guard? You ain't Jack Bauer! You're expendable! At least say no and force him to drag your dead fingerprint around to get what he needs. Maybe it's just me, but I know no amount of bargaining in the world is going to make the bad guys change their mind. I'm not going to make it easier on them to do harm. Criminals are baaaaaaaad. You don't matter to them.

But man, what a great 2 hours. It's as Cameron said, they did everything that makes 24 great. Edgar...man. wow. man. I thought I was hurt by Michelle dyin'. So lingering questions:
where does Lynn end up in all of this? Did he make it out of his cell or is he holed up in CTU? Does the Russian President believe Logan when he says his wife's just looney, or does he suspect something? I can only dream cause that would get the loser out of office. Will Aaron and the First Lady run away together far away from the pressures of the White House? Will someone just make Mike Novak the President and call it a day? How long does anyone give Pony Boy before he says something to Jack and Jack has to either A) kill him or B) hurt him reeeeal bad?
All this and more next week! And this time I hope not to be too swamped with work to write!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home